Revamp your approach and mindset for succeeding in networking with these helpful tips from Chi Chi Okezie
The way that your relationships, careers and businesses evolve is the same way that your networking can evolve. The idea of having to restructure your networking process can be daunting, but it is a necessary component of reaching your goals and achieving accomplishments.
Here are some simple ways to revitalize and re-energize important networking efforts.
1. Re-establish Your Goals
Get into the habit of renewing and reinventing your networking goals. Networking is an activity which requires a level of commitment. Being able to keep your goals top of mind and structure methods of engagement is essential. Consider the following questions:
- Are these goals empowering me to build my networks?
- Are these goals following the S.M.A.R.T. methodology (Specific. Measurable. Achievable. Relevant. Time-Bound)?
- Am I losing focus when it comes to my goals?
- Are these goals true to my values and beliefs?
- Are these goals impacting my career, business, etc.?
- How do I know that I have reached / am reaching my goals?
2. Restore Lost Connections
Do not be discouraged or dismayed when relationships fizzle or fall by the wayside. Instead, consider ways of reconnecting and restoring rapport. Be assertive and take the initiative to reach out. Be intentional in your communication and timing. Share your current activities and offer support and vice versa. Create an environment or outlet to rebuild trust and credibility with these steps:
- Acknowledge the time lapse or lack of communication.
- If necessary, explain your situation and desire to reconnect.
- Offer methods of building the relationship with updated expectations.
- Be available, flexible and empathetic in your approach.
- Reach out more than once, if applicable.
- Look for ways to create beneficial opportunities.
- Offer additional insights for sustaining and growing the relationship.
3. Revive Your Energy
No one wants to suffer from networking burnout. It can leave you tired, frustrated and turning away from networking and building relationships. Know your strengths and weaknesses and utilize your networks for assistance. Manage your time wisely and exercise good judgment in saying “No” and conserving your energy. Being able to be positive and full of life equates to bringing your whole self to any networking event. It is one of the most productive and efficient ways of interacting with others and adding value to your networks. Consider these points:
- Think creatively when interacting with others.
- Lean on technology and useful apps for staying in contact.
- Merge networks and expand your offerings and resources.
- Create a cadence of reaching out and connecting.
- Exemplify gratitude in speech and actions.
- Know your limits and boundaries.
Networking takes time, energy and resources to be productive and efficient. A journey toward success also requires intentionality and commitment. It is normal for it to evolve through time. So, use these important tips and strategies to keep your networking updated, effective and relevant. Be innovative with your style of connecting and your methods of interacting and building quality relationships. Finally, safeguard your energy and wellbeing through self-care. Following this advice positions you for continued success in your career, business and life.